Saturday, December 25, 2010

Updates complete!

So yesterday on Christmas Eve I put live all the fixes and updates I have been working on for the past several weeks. These fixes and updates are all 'behind the scenes' and the games themselves have remain unchanged.

My motivation behind these changes were fix a growing problem over the past several months, the fact that sometimes statistics were not being recorded correctly. This should now be fixed.

The 'Timeline' part of the statistics is gone and likely not to return. It wasn't all that informative and I think I can use this part of the screen to put more interesting statistics and data. If anyone has any suggestions as to what should go in this area, please feel free to either comment or e-mail me your ideas to

The 'Largest Size' card option was missing for a day or so, but I have restored this option. The site was defaulting to 'Auto Play Obvious' for new visitors, which upset a few people so I've changed this it to default to 'Auto Play When Won' for new visitors instead. Remember, you can always set it to 'Do Not Auto Play' if you don't want any auto playing and this option will be saved.

I hope everyone is having a great holiday :)

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Fixing Statistics - Update

Hello everyone!

Some folks had asked for an update on my progress on fixing the statistics problems.

I'm delighted to say that I'm about half way done. I've got the new system all designed and about half the code is written.
Progress should proceed at a faster pace now now and I *hope* to be finished around the end of this year.

I'll be ordering two new servers tonight which end up being the future home for World of Solitaire. These machines will be much more powerful than the current ones and combined with the new code and system design there should be no more statistics problems once they finally go live some time early next year.

In the mean time I hope everyone has a kick butt holiday season :)

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Fixing Statistics Problems - Work has begun!

Several months ago I posted about how I hoped that some changes I made would fix the statistic recording problems on World of Solitaire.

Sadly it has not.

I wanted to let everyone know that I haven't forgot about the problems.

In fact, I have a solution that I am actively developing.

It will take the next several weeks for me to finish developing the solution and test it thoroughly.

This solution should fix the problems once and for all :)

I do not know if the solution will 'repair' any previously missed statistics or not but it will certainly ensure that all future statistics recording will work correctly.

I will post again when I'm closer to the date that the changes will go live.

In the mean time, I hope you all can continue to enjoy playing the games :)

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Statistics Problems - Continued


So the changes I made earlier this month did not seem to fix the problem with statistics not recording correctly.

As of this morning I've implemented some more changes that should hopefully fix the problem.

The only visible change to you the player is that Global statistics are now updated just once a day instead of every 3 hours.

If after a few weeks with these changes, if it becomes clear that the statistics recording problem hasn't been fixed, I have another idea on what I can do but it will be a lot more work to implement so I want to see if it's absolutely necessary before beginning to work on it.

I hope that even with the slightly buggy statistics issue that you are all able to still have fun playing World of Solitaire :)

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Statistics Recording Problem

Hello World of Solitaire players.

For the past few weeks several users have reported issues about statistics not being recorded correctly.

Games that they've won not being saved and they were showing up as 'losses' in the Statistics.

This has been a very difficult problem to track down.

About 5 minutes ago I implemented a change to the server that I *hope* should solve this issue.

Sadly, games already played that were not recorded correctly are not able to be restored due to the glitch not recording that the game took place.

I hope that that my change should prevent stats from getting more messed up in the future.

Sorry again for the issues.